Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pictures and More...

Hi Everyone. I just thought I would post a new belly picture and share some news because I feel like haven't blogged in forever. Everything with the pregnancy is going great and next week I should find out about my placenta. Paul is still enjoying his new job and we are excited to travel to Ohio for my baby shower next weekend.
Most of you do not know that Paul and I have been struggling with the choice of a hospital birth or a home birth. The common misconception is that going to the hospital is always safer, which may be true depending on the hospital. However, considering that a natural and drug-free birth is extremely important to us, a hospital is not always supportive of a patient that wants no medical interventions.
So after some research and gathering of opinions, I still came to the conclusion that I would love a home birth. It seems like an environment that I would be much more comfortable in. I believe that giving birth should be handled naturally if you do not have a "high risk" pregnancy. I literally live across the street from the hospital, so if something wasn't going right I could be there in a few minutes. Plus, I did not want to walk into the hospital knowing that I had to fight for what I want.
Unfortunately, a midwife and home birth are fully not covered by our insurance and considering how late it is in my pregnancy, paying for a midwife would be a huge financial decision for us. Money would not be an issue if I had gone with a midwife in the first place because we could spread the payments out over time. Thank goodness we had another option.
We decided to continue with a hospital birth and hire a doula. For those of you who do not know what a doula is, they are someone who is present during labor to provide emotional support, aid in pain management and act as your birth plan advocate in the hospital. Although Paul can handle all of these tasks, I feel better knowing that someone else is there just for us. Paul should not have to defend our choices to the hospital either, when he should be enjoying the birth of our son. The doula will also support Paul, which gives him a better opportunity to support me. We feel that this is a good compromise between the hospital vs. home birth issue. Now knowing what we know, our next pregnancy will most likely end in a home birth. Wish us luck with this one.
*Personalized bib for Payson*

3 comments:

Ann said...

It's important that you are comfortable with everything involving your birth. Good for you that you researched and made a decision you are comfortable with. We'll pray that everything goes well. 10 weeks or less for you!!! I am excited!!! Wish I could be there in the waiting room!

Anonymous said...

your belly is so cute!
and i love the bib!
its so payson already,i know it!hahh

Kristy said...

If you have a birth plan written up and given to the hospital all will be fine sweetie. They can't force you to take meds unless you HAVE to have an emergency by some chance and I dont see that happening, I have a good feeling about peyson's birth and I know it is going to be just what you have dreamed of! your belly is so cute, I miss mine!!! love the bib, I can't wait to hear about your upcoming babyshower!