Monday, April 6, 2009

New Doctor, Belly Bump & My Birth Plan...

At my OB appointment last week we were informed by the doctor that he would NOT support my all natural birth plan unless he was in total control and made all final decisions. He was unwilling to discuss my options during labor, like trying natural methods of progression, before he decided that medical interventions were necessary. This made Paul and I very unhappy and uncomfortable so we decided to find another doctor.
Today I had an appointment with a woman doctor that I completely trust. She is very supportive of our goals and is willing to explain my options during labor, before forcing a decision on us, so we can all decide what is best for me and baby. Words can not express how relieved I am to have a doctor I trust. I am now stress free regarding my delivery and I can't wait to push this baby out NATURALLY.
Below is an updated belly picture and our birth plan, for those of you who are interested. Enjoy.


Wendorff Family Birth Plan

Patient of: Dr. Zerline Chambers
Doula: Marilyn Alger
Husband/Coach: Paul Wendorff
Scheduled to deliver at Potomac Hospital

To Whom It May Concern, These are my wishes in how I would like the birth of my child carried out, before, during and after labor.
Sincerely, Lindsey Wendorff

LABOR
1. I would like my husband and my doula in the labor room.
2. I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
3. I wish to be able to move around and change positions at will during labor.
4. I do NOT want an IV during labor, unless it is extremely necessary.
5. I would like the environment to be kept as dark and quiet as possible during labor.

MONITORING
1. I do not wish to have continuous monitoring unless it is required by the condition of the baby.
2. I do not want an internal monitor unless the baby has shown some sign of distress.

AUGMENTATION / INDUCTION
1. I would prefer to be allowed to try changing positions and other natural methods before pitocin is administered.
2. If labor is not progressing, I would like to have my water broke before other methods are used to augment labor.

ANESTHESIA / PAIN MEDICATIONN
1. I realize that many pain medications exist, I’ll ask for them if I need them. My goal is a drug-free birth.

CESAREAN
1. Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a cesarean.
2. I would like my husband present at all times if a c-section is needed.
3. I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia.
4. So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of the baby.
5. If the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
6. I do NOT want anyone other my husband and hospital staff to hold my baby until I am able to.

EPISIOTOMY
1. I would like to avoid an episiotomy at all costs.
2. I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.


DELIVERY
1. I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I push and give birth in (i.e. squatting, hands-and-knees, etc.)
2. I would like my husband and my doula to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
3. I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby’s head when it crowns.
4. I would like a chance to touch the baby’s head when it crowns.
5. I would appreciate the room to be as quiet and dim as possible for the actual delivery.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY
1. I would like the baby to placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery
2. I would like to wait until the cord has finished pulsating before it is cut.
3. I would like my husband to cut the cord, unless he declines when asked.
4. I would like to hold the baby while I deliver the placenta.
5. I would like to hold the baby for at least fifteen minutes before he is examined, unless he is in distress.
6. I would like my baby to be evaluated and bathed in my presence.
7. If the baby must be taken from my presence, I would like my husband to accompany the baby at all times.
8. I do NOT want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in the expelling of the placenta.

POSTPARTUM
1. I would like to have the baby “room-in” and be with me at all times.
2. I would like to be cleared to go home as soon as hospital policy allows.

BREASTFEEDING
1. I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
2. I do NOT want my baby to be given a pacifier.
3. Please do NOT give my baby a bottle; I will gladly feed him when he becomes hungry.
4. I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.

CIRCUMCISION
1. I would like my baby boy to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.

OTHER
1. I would like to be informed of what is going on at all times.
2. If by some chance I am unable to make a decision or answer a question due to my state, I want all questions and decisions forwarded to be made or answered by my husband.
3. I would like the support of my doctor and all hospital staff to help me achieve my goal of an all natural and drug-free labor.
4. If any complications should arise during or after labor, I want what is best for me and my baby.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

beautiful belly pic! Not too much longer and he will be here!!! Your birth plan is very reasonable and most of what you asked for is usually already provided for you (at least it was for me) the only thing that I am not sure if they will allow is if you end up having a csection, lowering the curtain so you can see. I am pretty sure it wont come to that, your little prince will come out naturally just as you dream he will!

Ann said...

Awww cute picture! I am so happy you have a better doctor. That's a relief! Thank you SO much for putting up your birth plan...it is similar to my wishes, but I have a lot of things I left blank because I am not sure. It is helpful to see yours. You're in the home stretch! We will find out the sex of our baby on April 28th! YEAH!!! I cant wait to feel the baby move and be certain about it.

Meghan said...

Good for you! I am glad you finally found a doctor that is supportive of your plan because I know how important it is to you. I am so excited and I know everything will go well!