Monday, August 2, 2010

While Daddy's Away...

As many of you know, Paul left last Monday for 11 days of training in Charleston, S.C.. Over the past 8 days, I've gained a new found respect for single moms. I've been on my own with the boys before, but never longer than 2-3 days. Luckily, Beckett is a very easy baby and both boys seem to take naps at the same time, giving me an opportunity to catch up on cleaning or to just rest. I also have a new found respect for how much Paul helps around the house. We are definitely a team when it comes to running our family.
My first day without Paul started out with sirens....literally. While I was cleaning our stove,it started shaking and the lighters for each burner started sparking. I started freaking out and wondering if the cleaner I was using was flammable. I initially looked across the street to see if my firefighter neighbor was home, but he wasn't. So I decided to call 911 because I was so afraid my stove was going to blow my house up. They told me go outside with both boys and wait for the fire department. So I ran upstairs and grabbed Payson out of his crib, where he was sound asleep, and then grabbed Beckett off the couch, where he was also sound asleep. Once the fire department arrived, all the neighbors came out to see what was going on and if we were ok. It turns out that I caused the lighters for the burners to short out because I got them too wet. I'm glad I called 911....better safe than sorry. The power was turned off to my stove and microwave until they dried out. That night we went to Taco Bell for dinner. Not an easy trip to make with two babies.
The rest of our time without Paul has gone much smoother. Last Tuesday, we went to the Fairfax Corner Fountain with my friend, Brittany, her mother-in-law and her two babies. Payson was a little young to fully enjoy it, but we were just glad to get out and cool off in the heat. Plus, Payson hated getting wet in the COLD fountain. Wednesday we went to Red Robin with my friend, Sarah, and her kids. I love every time we get a chance to see each other now that she lives in Maryland. Sunday night, Brittany had us over for an awesome meatloaf dinner. Payson loves playing with Hallie's toys, but I'm sure Paul would be embarrassed to know that he ends up playing with her baby dolls and princess wand. And today, we went to lunch with my friend, Julie, and her son, Lucas. We ate at Olive Garden and it was yummy!
I just want to say thank you to all my friends and neighbors for keeping me busy and offering their help to me. I only have 3 more days alone until Paul gets home and we can't wait to see him. Enjoy the few pictures I've managed to take while Paul has been away.

*Payson-hating the cold water.*
*I placed Payson right over the fountain.
I'm a mean Mommy.*
*Trying to walk.*

*So much happier away from the water.*
*Payson playing his drum.
A gift from Auntie Sheridan.*
*Beckett is in the background enjoying the show.
He watches everything Payson does.*
*Lucas and Payson after lunch at Olive Garden.
Both of them too interested in the rocks
to take a good picture.
*Mr. Beckett. Taking a good nap for Mommy.
His eyelashes are getting long like Payson's.*

3 comments:

Ann said...

Fun playdates! Poor Payson in the cold fountain, lol. Glad your stove didn't explode and glad Paul will be home in 3 days. Good job! I know it's so hard when Daddy's away. I hate when Daniel is gone.

Meghan PS said...

Your kiddos are so cute! The face Payson is making while standing in the fountain is hilarious! He is getting so big, I can't believe it. Miss you guys!

Sheridan said...

The fountain pictures made me laugh so hard its too funny,And the stories are so funny too.Im glad everything was okay with the stove I dont think paul would have been too happy to come home to a blown up house.And my drum is awesome =) Im so glad he likes it and plays with it